You know the feeling: the clock seems to be creeping past three-thirty, your lunch has fully digested, and it seems like forever until dinner time – not to mention, your energy-level has officially tanked. Don’t grab the chips, don’t grab the cookies, and definitely don’t go for the candy bars; instead, whip up a batch of easy, nutritious energy bites!
Made with only six ingredients, these energy bites will leave you feeling empowered and ready-to-go, unlike those greasy, processed, chemical-filled snacks calling from that tempting metal box in the breakroom.
These are great for an afternoon pick-me-up, children’s sports team snack, quick breakfast, or when you just want a few bites of something sweet!
Scroll to the bottom for step-by-step text instructions.
Ingredients for Nut Butter Energy Bites:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups of quick oats
- 1/4 cup of nut butter (I used peanut butter – yummy!)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon – approximately
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips – also approximate 😉
Step-By-Step Text Instructions for the Energy Bites:
- Using a fork or potato masher, crush the bananas into a smooth puree. It’s okay if there are small bits left, but try to create a creamy consistency to form the base of your energy bites.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the banana mixture, and combine until a dough-like substance forms. Feel free to substitute another mix-in for the chocolate chips like coconut shavings, almonds, or raisins!
- Using your hands or a cookie dough scooper, form spherical, bite-sized pieces (approximate 1.5-inch diameter) and set on a wax-papered surface. The recipe should make about 16 energy bites.
- Chill the energy bites in the refrigerator for a few hours to let them set. This time also allows the oats to soak up some moisture from the nut butter/honey and soften.
- Enjoy for up to four days, tightly sealed and stored in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
Nutrition Information for One of the Energy Bites (with Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chips):
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbs: 21.4 g
- Sugar: 10 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
Nutrition Information Provided By MyFitnessPal.
I hope you like these Nut Butter Energy Bites as much as I do. Sometimes I have to force myself not to eat half of the batch in one sitting! Let me know in the comments section below how yours turn out, and what combination of nut butter and mix-ins you choose!
If you are looking for another easy snack, check out one of my other favorites, here!
Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to subscribe if you want to be notified by e-mail of future posts (to the right-hand side on a desktop, or near the bottom on a mobile device)! I have some exciting things coming up soon that you can’t miss!